Tuesday, October 25, 2016

THIS COULD BE A VERY STUPID IDEA

As an author of several books, I'm occasionally asked how I go about writing a novel. Now what many creative writers are taught in school is before starting the actual writing, you need to develop a fully formed story in a detailed outline form, create individual histories of all your main characters, do a lot of research on settings and so forth before finally revving up the computer.

That's not how I write. This blog is about how I write. I do start with a bullet-pointed outline, maybe two or three pages and a vague idea about some characters. Then I just sit down and write. I think all that other stuff is just procrastination.

But writers are supposed to show, not tell. So this blog is about my very stupid idea, which is to show you my next novel, currently titled LET'S COOK, as it's created. I will, essentially, provide pages of my first draft as they're written so you'll see what a mess I and most writers make the first time through a story. It will be replete with typos, misspellings, blind alleys, poor creative decisions, inconsistencies... and maybe some good writing.

But it should be good for laughs for those of you interested in the writing process. And you'll begin to understand why most authors, myself included, do not publish until we've been through a half-dozen drafts or more. And usually aided by the steady hand of an experienced editor and proofreader.

I also welcome your comments, criticisms, and suggestions. And, as an added bonus, if I include your suggestions, I'll add your name to the Acknowledgements section of my book when and if it gets published.

I'll also include in this blog any news, special promotions, or other ephemera regarding my published works.

Please check back often because this will be a very active blog...I hope. And again, I welcome your comments and, don't worry, I have a very very very very thick skin.

1 comment: