Friday, November 4, 2016

Let's Cook!--Entry #5

PLEASE CLICK ON THE POST ON THE RIGHT TO LEARN WHAT THIS BLOG IS ALL ABOUT.

Here's the next installment:

* * *
            The ride from the airport was not relaxing, since it included a stop at the funeral home for a private, family-only viewing. It was just Hot, the in-laws and his kids, except for Emily who would be arriving later in the evening from Brussels. Hot sat in the front row next to Joe with his hands folded on his lap, watching Maggie kneeling in front of the casket just gazing and dabbing at tears and every once in a while heaving a sonic sob that broke the silence of the heavily draped and carpeted room. The kids stayed in the back, speaking softly. Phillip’s latest girl slouched over two chairs in the back, tapping on her phone and fussing with her ponytail.
            “Lottie was so beautiful, even now,” said Joe.
            Hot nodded, without looking at his father-in-law.
            “It is so…shocking, you know, to see her like this,” said Joe. “I can’t process it, really. It’s like being inside a collapsing building--your whole world just falling to dust--you with it. As a parent…as a parent, nothing can be worse than seeing your child go before you. I don’t know…I don’t know.” Joe was a shuddering, heaving mass of grief and Hot found himself putting his arm around the “good” in-law and feeling heartily sorry for the mess created by a burst artery in a key cranial location.
            “I loved Lottie very much,” Hot said, with immediate regret. Hot hated the obvious and the trite. Of course he loved Lottie. Of course Joe knew he loved Lottie. But saying so opened a gate of sensation for Hot, fingers of grief tightening his throat and the stir of indignation rattled his gut. “Yes, I loved Lottie and I don’t care what Maggie says.” The shuddering sobs racking Joe’s body subsided and he lifted tear-streaked eyes and looked Hot straight-on in the face.
            “Maggie can be a real shit,” said Joe. “She doesn’t have much of a filter, but I hope you understand her by now. She’s wonderful in her way, but her way is kind of hard to take at times. Of course you loved Lottie. I’ve always known that and so does Maggie, regardless of what she says. You’re a good guy, Anderson--maybe a little weird, but you’ve been great for Lottie and we are grateful what you’ve done for our daughter.” Joe stood up and looked down at Hot and took a deep breath.
            “We’re sorry for your loss, Anderson.”
            Our loss, Joe.”
            “Our loss. Now I think I better go up with her mom and begin saying good-bye to my daughter.” It was a slow walk by an old man who slouched behind his kneeling wife. For the first time Hot could feel tears welling in his eyes and he hunched over alone in the front row less than 10 feet from the prone form of his wife in a box. He tried to clear his mind. Of the logistics of Death, the demands of mourners, the suspended routines of his life. He wished he could meditate but never learned how. He was sinking sinking into a reduced state of consciousness when he felt a presence next to him. Nothing seen or heard, just the subtle compression of space when another person or object alights in proximity. Hot took a deep breath and expected to see Margot or Phillip when he opened his eyes, but it was the girl. Hot squinted, suddenly without words. This girl up close was a startling sight. Metallic rings pierced her lower and upper lips, complemented by multiple loops of various lengths and thicknesses in each ear. She had a wide pale face with large, deer-brown eyes and dense black eyebrows. Her hair was a frizzed ball that somehow terminated in a long frizzed braid in back tied with a black ribbon. She wore a short black dress with a high neck collar and row upon row of neck bling of various metals, beads and stones. She wore tight black boots that laced up to her bare, dimpled knees. She was a large woman, not fat exactly, but pleasingly voluptuous and quite unlike the skinny, mousy women that Phillip generally dated, or married. She made a striking appearance.  
            “Hi, I’m Chloe--I’m with Phillip. I’m sorry about your wife. Phillip’s all torn up about it--he was close to her, so he says. Look, I’m not too great at these kinds of things, but I am truly sorry for the pain you must be going through. Like, I don’t know…”
            “Thanks, Chloe. I’m glad to meet you. I didn’t know that Phillip was dating again. Thank you for coming.” Hot expected Chloe to retire to her former place in the back, but instead she sat silently next to Hot, which he found curious. Why wasn’t she back with the other kids?
            “I think Phillip is talking business with Margie. Not my thing.”
            “Her name is Margot. The older sister,” said Hot. “Tell me, Chloe, is your mother still alive?”
            “I don’t know. She dumped me on my aunt when I was 13. We didn’t, you know, exactly get along.”
            “Oh.”
            “I mean, it’s no big deal. My Ma was a kind of bitch and wasn’t fun to be around when she was on one her tears.”
            “She was an alcoholic…”
            Chloe let out a chortle then quickly covered her mouth when those in the room (except, of course…) suddenly stared in her direction. “I don’t think much about it. Do you want some gum or something?” Hot shook his head. It was an odd offer. Gum? Why would someone want gum under these circumstances? Sure Chloe was chewing like a locomotive, which Hot chalked up to nervousness--meeting the family, seeing the dead mother, meeting the bereaved husband.  The kids in the back fell silent and the only sound in the room were the occasional snap of Chloe’s gum chewing. The faint hint of peppermint in the air between them. Then Chloe resumed playing with her braid, the pull and swish of her manipulations was something Hot found soothing. He glanced at her as she stared straight ahead, humming softly to herself. There was a tiny tattoo of a green alligator on the side of her neck. Exquisite. Her skin was unearthly pale. She turned her head to him, smiled and shrugged and resumed humming, some tune unknown to Hot--perhaps improvised.
            “You don’t have to sit with me if you want to go back and join Phillip and Margot. I’m okay--I’m pretty lost in my own thoughts.”
            “I’m fine here. Why would anyone want to be alone in this situation?”
            “I like being alone at times. It’s never been an issue with me.”
            “Okay,” said Chloe, “I guess I’ll go up and introduce myself to Phillip’s mom.” When Phillip saw Chloe in front of the casket, he hustled up and stood next to her, placing an arm around her shoulders. He whispered something in her ear and Chloe nuzzled in closer. They stood still, gazing at his mom for several minutes before they turned back, Chloe retiring to the back with Margot while Phillip took a seat next to his father. Hot was deep in thought, trying to figure out what was coming next. In a few minutes the viewing would be over and Hot would be driven home and he prayed there wouldn’t be any guests waiting for him. What about the sleeping arrangements? Phillip will want his old room…Margot of course. But this strange girl…
            

No comments:

Post a Comment